By Mandi Dietz
Remembering 150 years of history, Weatherford College in Parker County invites all to share in its celebratory sesquicentennial anniversary. With honorable roots, beginning with the Phoenix Masonic Lodge and Methodist Church, to multiple name changes, on-site-housing and expansions to Mineral Wells, Wise County and Granbury, there’s much to commemorate.
In 1869, the Phoenix Masonic Lodge celebrated the laying of a cornerstone for the Weatherford Masonic Institute, which would later become Weatherford College.
By 1885, the Masons sold the building to M. C. Brown, who in turn leased it to the Methodist Church. The school began teaching college-level courses, and its name became Cleveland College, honoring President Grover Cleveland.
To read more pick up a copy of the May 2019 NTFR issue. To subscribe call 940-872-5922.