By Jessica Crabtree
It may come as a surprise to some that far beyond this century Denton County was considered “Horse Country USA” and the fact that horses played a huge roll in the development of the county. Considered one of the largest breeders known was W.C. (Crow) Wright.
His history coincides with a previous article of NTFR’s from the November issue titled, “Generations in one Place,” as we made mention of the removal and burial of John B. Denton. Crow Wright was among John B. Denton’s pall bearers who placed him at his final resting place on the southwest corner of the Denton Courthouse grounds.
This piece will revert back to the Civil War. As settlers and stockman restored their lives and contended with persisting Indian raids, renegades and thieves willing to scatter their herds, steal or kill the livestock for food, or kill the people brave enough to stand in their way. Cars were foreign objects, horse and buggies were still the means of transportation and women still rode side saddle.
Crow Wright originated from Clarksville in far East Texas. He was born Feb. 28, 1837, to James G. Wright and Sally Caruthers Wright. Wright graduated McKenzie College in 1856 and traveled west, making his way to Denton County in 1858.
Working a few years as a store clerk in Sherman, Wright saved his money and with his brother, Robert, the two traveled to Mexico in pursuit of Spanish mares. This is documented in both the book “Historic Denton County” as well as on the Texas State Historical website; however, there is speculation whether or not his father provided money for the horses and land.
To read more pick up a copy of the January 2017 NTFR issue.