By Shannon Gillette
Located fourteen miles northwest of Denton at the intersection of FM roads 2450 and 455 lies the small community of Bolivar. Dr. Hiram Daily established the town in 1852.
This site was not his first choice. Three miles down the road he attempted to erect a new town, but the residents were wiped out by small pox, forcing him to move on if he wanted to achieve his mission. Daily was a physician as well as a Methodist preacher and a shop owner. Creating a new town in which he could practice all of his endeavors was the goal. He founded New Prospect, but the name did not stick.
It was changed to Bolivar in honor of Bolivar, Tennessee, where many of the new residents had once called home.
That same year William Forester relocated his family from Tennessee to the Bolivar area. Forester’s traveling companion was Captain Richard King and company. To read more pick up a copy of the June 2016 issue of NTFR.