White Face Headquarters of the Waggoner Ranch- Then & Now

White Face Headquarters is known as the horse headquarters of the historic Waggoner Ranch. (Courtesy photo)

By Janis Blackwell

The story that follows recounts just a small part of the evolution of the amazing life of ranch cowboy, Wes O’Neal, and the White Face Headquarters (known as the horse headquarters) of the historic Waggoner Ranch.

But first, for anyone who might not know, here’s a very brief history of the ranch.

Born in Tennessee, Dan Waggoner, founder of the famous ranch, was brought to Texas by his parents in the mid 1840s. After Dan’s father passed away in 1848, Dan purchased land in Wise County and began investing in longhorn cattle.

As he prospered at this endeavor, he continued to add to his land holdings until shortly after 1870, he had land in Wilbarger, Archer, Baylor, Wichita, Knox and Foard Counties with ranch headquarters established 13 miles south of Vernon, where they remain today. To read more pick up the March 2016 issue of NTFR.